Pot stickers can be easily served as a light appetizer. I used store-bought dumpling wrappers, which are easily available in Asian and American grocery stores. Please check the ingredients as some of the brands do contain egg yolks. I got an egg free version from Asian Mart nearby, so I have posted a picture of the brand I used.
Here is a veggie dumpling recipe.
A. Veggie Filling:
2 medium carrots (shredded)
1/3 Napa cabbage (shredded)
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
6 button mushrooms (chopped)
2 green onions (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons of cilantro leaves (chopped)
2 teaspoons of sesame seed oil
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon of ajinomoto (optional)
1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
1 teaspoons of cornstarch
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
B. Wonton Wrappers (Store-bought)
C. Dipping Sauce
1 cup of Soy Sauce
1/3 cup of rice vinegar
1/2 inch ginger (finely chopped)
1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
1 tsp of sesame oil (toasted)
1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon of hot chili paste (Sambal sauce)
Black pepper (Add salt only if using low sodium soy sauce)
1. Heat up sesame oil, add garlic, ginger. Saute them for few seconds. Now add all veggies and saute them for 3-4 minutes. Add other ingredients and in the last add cornstarch and cilantro. Cook everything for 2-3 more minutes. Cool the mixture.
2. Thaw wonton wrappers.
3. Take a wrapper. Apply luke warm water with a brush on the sides in circular motion.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of filling on half of wonton wrapper. Fold it as folding Mexican empanada. Seal the semicircular dumpling with fork marks.
Note: You can follow pinched patterns on the sealed dumpling. There are various days to do it.
5. At this point you can refrigerate the dumplings for a day and roasted them the next day. This will save you time on the day of a planned party.
6. Now heat up a non-stick pan. Spray mist oil. Take 3-4 dumplings and roasted them for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
7. Add 1/4 cup of water. Cover the pan and let it steam roast for until all the water is evaporated.
8. Cook other dumplings the same way. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Heat up sesame oil. Add garlic, ginger, and add other ingredients. Simmer it for 2-3 minutes. Cool it off completely.
Serve all the dumplings / pot stickers with this dipping sauce.