Few months back I tried this recipe in one local Asian restaurant who serves amazing Thai and Japanese food. I instantly fell in love with it, as I adore mangoes and coconut both.
Here is the picture of mango sticky rice from that Thai restaurant. I clicked this picture, so that I can make my own version at home. It looks delicious. Isn’t it?
Now here is my version. Please note that the ingredients might differ a bit, but it tasted exactly the same.
Ingredients (SERVES 4)
I cooked rice in a microwave safe bowl.
A. For Cooking Rice
1. 1/2 cup Sweet Sticky Rice (available in the Asian Market)
2. 1 + 1/2 cups of water
B. Coconut Milk Mixture for Rice
3. 1/2 can of coconut milk (Trader Joes brand)
4. 1 cup of dark brown sugar
5. 1 pinch of Salt.
C. Coconut Sauce for Garnish
1/4 can of coconut milk (In the end 1/4 will remain for later use)
3 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon of water + 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
1 pinch of salt
D. Fresh Mango (peeled & decoratively cut it)
E. Black Sesame Seeds (Optional for Garnish)
1. Soak the Rice for 3-4 minutes. (Note: Traditionally Thai folks soak it overnight)
2. Cook the rice in a microwave safe bowl. I never use stove top method as the glutinous rice like sweet sticky rice and sushi rice tend to stick and burn on the bottom. So, I use a safer method and go with 5 mins + 2 mins + 1 min. (Note: Keep checking water level every time. If necessary add more water)
3. Taste the rice. It should not be toothy and must be perfectly cooked.
4. Meanwhile, in a saucepan add all ingredients for coconut milk mixture.
5. Heat it up until lightly boiled. Dissolve all the sugar well. Just switch off the milk+sugar+salt mixture and instantly transfer it to another bowl.
6. Now mix the rice and coconut milk, both should be at hot temperature.
7. In another saucepan heat up the ingredients for coconut milk sauce. Make cornstarch slurry in water and add to the boiling sauce mixture. Let the mixture thicken and cool it down.
8. Peel mangoes and cut it vertically or in cubes.
9. Assemble the dish: In a bowl take coconut milk and rice mixture + Add mangoes + Add coconut milk sauce + sesame seeds (optional). I forgot to garnish it with sesame seeds.
10. Serve warm or at room temperature.